The 12th Doctor, Capaldi, has also previously said he would like to see a woman take on the iconic role. In the scene, The Master asks, "Will the future be all girl?" to which the Doctor replies, "We can only hope".
For those who grew up watching Doctor Who, and later rekindled a new love of the series when it was rebooted in 2005, the announcement marks a major and progressive shift in the show's evolution.
She said: "I'm beyond excited to begin this epic journey - with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet".
Meanwhile, Star Wars actor John Boyega and Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker were among the high-profile names to sing Whittaker's praises following the news.
Whittaker will replace Peter Capaldi, who took on the role in 2013 amid an increasing clamour that it should go to a woman.
While LGBTI characters have spent time with the Time Lord before, this is the first time the Doctor's long-running companion is LGBTI. Whittaker, who rose to fame with ITV's crime drama Broadchurch, will be playing the 13th doctor after Peter Capaldi. "I was born in 1982 and Doctor Who has been around longer than me and it's a family I couldn't ever have dreamed I'd be a part of".
Doctor Who first aired in 1963 and celebrated its 50 anniversary four years ago.
Jodi Whittaker has been finalised for Doctor Who's 13th season.
The choice for the next Time Lord was revealed in a trailer that was broadcast after the Wimbledon men's singles final.
The character transitions from one actor to another through the show's concept of regeneration into an incarnation.
Chibnall said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman.
"Well I never the BBC really did do the right thing and let the Doctor be in touch with her feminine side".
- Suivez en direct la cérémonie d'hommage aux victimes de l'attentat de Nice
- Quels sont les buts de la visite de Benyamin Netanyahou en Europe ?
- Frédérique Vidal: la procédure d'admission post-bac, un "énorme gâchis"
- Trump's Lawyer Defends Donald Trump Jr.'s Controversial Meeting
- Lyon s'est promené contre le Celtic Glasgow
- Le dissident chinois et prix Nobel Liu Xiaobo est mort
- Wimbledon: Clijsters prête sa jupe à un spectateur sur le court
- Wellington sera acheté à... Arsenal — Bordeaux
- La popularité de Donald Trump s'effrite
- Les médecins retrouvent 27 lentilles agglomérées dans l'œil d'une patiente